Toulouse, France


Friday, February 24, 2017

Feb 24, 2017

Bonjour!
This week was so crazy! Idk where to even start! On Tuesday I performed for the mission presidency and the visiting authority (Elder Schwitzer of the Seventy) in their private dinner thing (if you could hie to Kolob) and it was nerve-wracking but went well. They all talked to Elder Thomas and I for a bit and were super nice (they got my name right but kept calling Elder Thomas "Elder Hansen" for some reason, which was hilarious). Then Elder Schwitzer spoke about how we can be effective missionaries, in the devotional.  One thing that he said that I really liked was about "the Nephi principle" - how the Lord had Nephi (and us) do the improbable (get the plates) so he (and we) could later do the impossible (crossing the ocean safely). Anyways, it was a really great talk, and we (the choir) sang "Precious Savoir Dear Redeemer" which was super awesome. I also rearranged an arrangement of "Nearer My God to Thee", and accompanied four members of my branch (Sœurs Thorn and Quigley and Elders Thomas, Hillier and myself) when we performed for the incoming missionaries in their devotional this week. It was way cool because with the five of us, we had missionaries going to Lyon France, Madagascar and Montreal. I changed the song so we did the first two verses in English and the last in French (extra cool because the verse we did in French doesn't have an English equivalent). Anywho, that was awesome. What else... We also had in-field orientation yesterday, which was fantastic. Lots about street contacting and statistics and stuff. One thing I learned was how essential members are to missionary work. Member referrals lead to twice as many baptisms as regular missionary finding. Then last night we practiced doing door approaches and then went outside to do more street contact practicing and it was freezing! I'm starting to be really comfortable with French and caught myself thinking in French the other day! Not fluent, but not toooo stressed either. I think that's all the news I have, except that we're leaving in like three days!! Fun fact of the day, we say "how are you" to everyone here, but that's a big no in France. Apparently if you ask "Comment ça va ?" there you'll either get sucked into a huge conversation about their life or they'll be freaked out about why you care, so that's a habit I still have to drop... Anyways I think that's all for now. Idk when I'll be able to email next, but I'll be in France when I do :) Je vous aime ! Au Revoir ! 
Elder Suisse

No comments:

Post a Comment