Toulouse, France


Monday, April 17, 2017

Easter and other miracles 4/17/2017

Hello everyone!
This week was busy! First off, Easter was awesome! We had a wonderful church service, and had a lot of people come who usually don't. I thought a lot about my Savior and how I can better come to know Him. In priesthood yesterday, we read a thing by President Hinckley, who suggested that we read the book of John, so I've started on that. I'm also working on memorizing "the living Christ", cuz it came up multiple times in conference, so anyone who wants to try that should totally go for it. I've realized that whether or not we saw Him walk out of that tomb doesn't matter. We can know of his reality and divinity just as resolutely as Mary Magdalene if we work for it and ask God. Super cool stuff! 

Elder Laney and I have been working on family history a bit this week too (we get an hour each Sunday to do that). I've been trying for a while to find names to bring to the temple, and have spent a lot of time on family search, but haven't had any success. I've researched and organized and done a lot of stuff, but it's been kind of frustrating, to be honest,not to find anything. But! I was working in it yesterday, and I realized that my "show available temple work" setting was still off from when I printed off a family tree to carry with me, so I turned it on and all of a sudden there were a bunch of lime green temple symbols. Super nice after so much work! 

As far as funny stories go, Elder Laney and I attempted to make a cheesecake for a mangez-vous yesterday, and idk what happened, but it did not set up AT ALL! So we show up at this fancy Easter lunch our member had prepared (asparagus, lamb, crystal glasses, homemade sorbet, the works) with a pan full of sweetened condensed milk and crushed speculoos cookies. We all had a good laugh, but it was a little pathetic (mom: if you wouldn't mind sending a good Graham cracker crust cheesecake recipe so we can make it up to her, that would be awesome). 

Anywho, I know we did more than that this week, but I can't remember what... Oh! Quote of the week from Soeur Cuisiat (trying to translate as best I can) :
"the only difference between us and the rest of God's creations is that flowers and wasps are what they are, while we get to choose between beautiful and wicked". I really liked that, and I'm so grateful for our agency and for a Redeemer who allows us that blessing. Joyeux pâques à tout le monde ! 

Excerpt from families letter:

We talk to people from Australia (mostly tourists), Nigeria, Algeria, Tahiti and the Marquisian Islands (That's where Poe, one of our ami's, is from, plus quite a few members), and Portugal and probably lots of other places. There are lots and lots of Muslim people too, and due to recent terrorist stuff and the relationship between traditionally muslim families and the introduction of christianity into said families, we're not allowed to teach them, which is super sad, especially cuz that's the majority of the refugees here... We don't get fed every night (usually one or two mangezvous a week is good), but we've been having like four a week, which is awesome. There aren't any crazy traditions here, I think it's about the same with Easter. Everyone eats lamb and asparagus and other fancy things, so that was delicious. We ate with Sr Cuisiat, and we were supposed to have dinner with Steve, but he had something come up, so we're eating with his family next week. Our secteur consists of just the Dijon ward, which is pretty normal for France, cuz there's not a ton of members, so we just go to the one block of church every Sunday. We're super blessed to have a ward, as most of France consists of branches. Anywho, I think that's everything?


No comments:

Post a Comment